Full list of Bachelor’s degree Teaching Courses Banned By TSC
The Teachers Service Commission (TSC) has banned over 20 Bachelor’s degree teaching courses.
The Bachelor of Science and Arts Degree Teaching Courses graduates will not be registered by the Teacher Service Commission and this means they will have to seek employment in other sectors.
The banned bachelor’s degrees are currently not in the curriculum and hence TSC cannot register teachers whose training is in subjects that are not currently in the curriculum.
According to the commission, even those who have done a post-graduate diploma education (PGDE) and/ or enhancement do not qualify for registration by TSC.
TSC further explained that such graduates are not eligible for registration because these courses do not provide sufficient subject content and therefore the mastery of the content in two teaching subjects is not adequate as required.
Additionally, the TSC guidelines for new teachers clarified that Bachelor of Science or Arts Degree holders with a post Graduate Diploma in Education (PGDE) and two teaching subjects qualify for registration.
List of Courses Banned by TSC
1. Bachelor’s degree in Natural resources
2. Bachelor’s degree in Meteorology
3. Bachelor’s degree in Forestry
4. Bachelor’s degree in Animal husbandry
5. Bachelor’s degree in Horticulture
6. Bachelor’s degree in Farm machinery
7. Bachelor’s degree in Fisheries
8.Bachelor’s degree in Anthropology
9. Bachelor’s degree in Sociology
10. Bachelor’s degree in Theology/Divinity
12. Kiswahili and Communication
13. Business Management / Administration
14. Banking and Finance
16. Actuarial Science
17. Environmental Science
19. Biotechnology and Agriculture
20. All Courses related to Engineering
21. Industrial Chemistry
23. Hospitality and tourism
24. Foods, Nutrition and Dietetics
25. Technology and applied Biology
TSC, the teachers’ employer has the mandate to register newly trained teachers, discipline teachers, employ teachers, promote and fire teachers.
With the powers bestowed to the teacher service commission, the commission can decide on the minimum qualification that a teacher must have for registration.