- More effort is required to stop teen pregnancies in Kenya.
Teen pregnancies in a matter of concern worldwide. Teen pregnancy in Kenya has hugely increased in the recent years and the situation is likely to worsen in the future.
The latest official report reveals Kenya ranked is the third-highest in teenage pregnancy cases worldwide.
The data show that in every five adolescents aged 15-19 one is already mothers or pregnant with their first child.
The Health ministry and the National Aids Control Council (NACC) has revealed in the report that the cases of HIV and adolescent pregnancies surging worldwide.
According to the report, adolescents aged 10-19 account for 53 per cent of all sexual and gender-based violence cases as of last year and contributed to 61 per cent of all new adult HIV cases.
Everyday increase in the cases of teen pregnancies has largely affected the education sector and the economic of the nation , with many young girls dropping out of school.
Despite parents investing energy and resources on educating their children, the children end up leading miserable lives.
What are the causes of teen pregnancy
Teenage occur in several ways. Major causes of teenage pregnancy include:
- Excessive freedom given to children, especially girls;
- Inadequate parental care, guidance and involvement
- High poverty levels;
- Rapid changes in technology messing up many pupils’ lives due to bad influence of the internet through mobile phones.
- Tough economic times, too, are to blame.
The forementioned possible predisposing factors, drive majority of the girls to end up engaging premature relationships ending up pregnant.
Several other students may engage in premarital s6x out of peer pressure to fit in a certain social class.
The vulgar content they watch in the social media, such as pornographic photos and videos contribute to degradation of morals and engagement in early relationships.
How to curb teen pregnancy
- Parents are urged to monitor the movement of their children especially during holidays, and give them proper guidance. On the hand parents should live exemplary life to be emulated by the young ones.
- The government should provide basic necessities like sanitary towels to female students from humble backgrounds to prevent transactional relationships.
- Political leaders should consider the welfare of the girl child.
- Awareness of safe methods of family planning to be enhanced to ensure parents bear the number of children they can provide for.