Ministry of E Issues Stern Warning To All Heads of Institutions
MOE has issued a strong warning to school support staff who are working in public schools in Trans Nzoia County against harassing learners.
Luke Chebet,Trans Nzoia County Director of Education on Saturday issued the warning while speaking in an interview with Kenya News Agency (KNA).
Chebet’s warning followed an incident where three Form One students from St. Monica Girls were allegedly poured hot water by a school cook and escaped with serious burns.
The students were rushed to Kiminini Hospital where they were treated. And according to medical reports, one of the students was admitted and the other two students escaped with gentle injuries and were treated and discharged the same day.
Chebet while referring to this incident that occurred last week , he said that ministry of education had taken applicable action has this had raised concerns among parents and the public.
Immediately we received the report of such incident, our office instructed the Board of Management (BOM) in that school to convene an urgent meeting. The cook was dismissed on the spot after resolutions was reached in the meeting, revealed Chebet.
Chebet told schools’ heads and boards of management to be extra vigilant when hiring staff members especially support staff in order to avoid endangering the lives of innocent students.
He also added that the ministry of education will institute disciplinary actions against heads of schools where staff commit criminal offences towards learners.
She used the occasion to warn school heads against overburdening parents by demanding from them money for what he termed as unlawful levies.
My office has been receiving several complaints from parents within the county lamenting about their children being sent home to collect money,He said.
The official, cited money for CBC and motivation as some of the unlawful collections done by some schools.