The ministry of education(MoE) has set new tough guidelines for setting up schools from pre-primary to teacher college level.
The new rules on the establishment and registration of new schools are in line with the requirements of the new Competency-Based Curriculum (CBC) which is under implementation process.
The Tough New Guidelines include:
- The pre-primary Classrooms
- The classrooms in pre-primary should measure at least 6 by 8 metres.
- The class should hold a maximum of 25 pupils.
2. The classrooms for primary schools, junior and senior secondary schools should measure at least 8 by 9 meters and have a maximum of 45 learners.
3. All senior Secondary schools to have adequate facilities offering two or more pathways.
4. Special Needs Institutions
Such institutions are expected to have a maximum of ten (10) learners for the case of physical, visual and hearing impairments.
In the case of severe disabilities, the number of learners ranges between one and five per classrooms.
5. Basic education institutions should not be within the distance of 600 metres in densely populated areas.
6. Pre-primary centres having attachment to primary schools to be constructed within a radius of 2km from the parent institution.
7. Additional public primary schools in a densely populated region should only be established if the one in existence is two-stream with at least 480 learners.
8. On the other hand a new public secondary can only be set up nearby a primary school which has three streams with more than 540 learners.
9. Urban centred, rural-centred and sparsely populated rural-centred pre-primary one-two and grade one-three schools to have at least half an acre and one acre and four acres respectively.
10. Provisional registration fee to be paid as stipulated by the ministry of education
11. All schools should have a non-penetrable perimeter fence for security purposes.
12. All schools to have firefighting gadgets.
13. All schools have a continuous supply of clean water for use.
14. All schools have enough toilets or pit latrines.
15. Boarding schools to have at least one dormitory for each gender, a food store, enough ablutions, a dining and a dining hall.
Julius Jwan, the Basic Education Principal Secretary backed the set guidelines and added that the news rules should toto to achieve high standards in the education sector.
According to Julius Jwan, the new rules are meant to ensure that CBC which is in the process of implementation is well adopted.
Last month the PS put the registration of new schools on hold until when the new guidelines shall be released.
The ministry took this move because it emerged that schools were being set up and registered uncontrollably without meeting infrastructural requirements leading to congestion.
Education CS has also warned politicians again setting up illegal institutions later seek their approval from the ministry.
What is your opinion? Subscribe for timely news updates.