*Mother sues school for using flour to treat daughter’s burns*
A girl at Winpride Girls Secondary School burnt another girl with hot water. After getting burnt, the girl was not given the correct medical attention but instead the school matron was directed to treat her wounds using maize flour.
The girl was isolated with all the pain for nine days in the dormitory where the matron kept pouring the maize flour on her wounds, her mother said through her lawyer Adrian Kamotho.
Lawyer Adrian Kamotho, in the petition filed at the High Court, said the incident occurred last year on twenty second of May.
Kamotho said said the school failed to accord the minor the right to access medical treatment which worsened her wounds and her right leg was nearly amputated as a result. The school negligence worsened the wounds on the minor’s leg causing cellulitis and sepsis.
The mother sues the school for negligence and want the school to pay for damages caused to her daughter and also to pay for her to undergo correctional surgery.
One year down the line but the girl is still in pain because the wounds have not healed properly and she can not walk comfortably that is why she needs to undergo correctional surgery, the mother said.
The school applied unorthodox means of treatment to supposedly heal the burns after the girl was assaulted by another student which made the wounds to worsen and got infection, Kamotho continued to say in a petition filed.
When the pain became unbearable, the girl got hysterical and this point she was taken to muthithi hospital. At the hospital, medical personnel were shocked at her condition and they advised that she be taken to a different facility. The wounds were infected.
When all this was happening the mother was kept in the dark. She was unaware of what was taking place. She was informed later but not by the school administration about the incident and she transfered her daughter to a different hospital. The damage was already done and now the girl can not walk properly.