The teacher Professional Development (TPD) program is the latest initiative from Teacher Service Commission (TSC) that will entail professionalism, CBC training, pedagogy, inclusive education practices, instructional leadership, financial literacy skills among others.
TPD is compulsory for all TSC registered teachers for the program will enhance professional growth and promotion.
TSC has also issued directives to all teachers to renew their practising after every 5 years upon completion of a five year TPD module course.
The refresher courses will either be online learning or in-person learning (during holidays). The accredited universities by TSC to offer TPD modules include Riara, KU, Mt Kenya and Kemi.
TPD Program Requirements
- Teachers Service Commission registered teachers or institutional leaders
- Mandatory free of sh 6000 per module.
- Heads of institutions and their deputies will be required to undertake at least one module yearly.
The objective of the refresher program is to improve learning outcomes in Kenyan schools by:
- Instilling life-long learning culture for teachers and instructional leaders
- To promote institution-based professional learning practices;
- To equip teachers and instructional leaders with 21st-century skills;
- To build a teacher’s competencies in creating supportive, safe and healthy learning environments.
1. Introductory module
The module will have five chapters to be completed within a period of one year.
2. Six modules (Level 1-6)
Upon completion of the introductory module, one will proceed to level one module.
Level One module also has chapters. A teacher or an instructional leader will take one chapter per year for 5 years but to a maximum of 7 years.
- To apply, a teacher is required to have a TPD mobile App (Kindly download the mobile App from the Google play store)
- The TPD app has the following features:
- Pay bill integration for easy application
- Registration process
- E-Learning integration
- Communication, Feedback and progress monitoring.
Upon completion of every module, a teacher will be issued a certificate.
TSC further informed that teachers who will fail to take the refresher courses will be at risk. Their jobs will be in jeopardy because they will not be given teaching licences.
The teachers who will not be having teaching licences may not be authorized to teach.